Friday 22 May 2015

MORE THAN A COUPLE OF DAYS IN KATHERINE

Ok - once again a short delay in our wanderings - the nasty little bug that got into my ankle surgery would not die!!  Like I said in the last blog the staff at Katherine Hospital are all great I really got to know them well.  I made them a visit every day for the last week twice a day for the last three days.  I have been having antibiotics through an IV.  Finished now just taking some tablets, so we can move again.

I have become a bit of a celebrity at the caravan park -  I head to the showers with a plastic bag over my hand and a bandage on my foot so they notice me.  Then as I have had to sit with my foot up most of the time everybody drops by for a visit and a chat and all want to know the details.

The worst part is that there are these fabulous hot springs only about 500m down the road and I cant go in.  The doctor just laughed at me when I mentioned the word swimming in 25 degree with whole bunch of other people who I know nothing about.

We went out to the Nitmiluk National Park which is where the Katherine Gorges are.  Sorry no fabulous pictures of the Gorges as I could not chance getting wet and there was also a bit of a rough track to get between them and as I was being naughty just having my foot down I didn't think I should push my luck with a boat  trip.

Which leads me nicely to the next part of our journey - we have decided to head west from here and not go up to Darwin.  I am still not swimming and don't think I will be for a week or so yet and one of the main reasons is to head north is to spend some time at Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks and maybe go over to the Tiwi Islands - where there is a lot of swimming to do.  Jim and I have talked about it and we would have to put Sammie in a kennel for a few days to go to the parks and with no swimming for me it just dosen't add up.  We have decided to come back another time, leave Sammie at home and really give these great parks the time they deserve.  

So we are heading west to Kunnanarra tomorrow Sunday.

Not many photos as we have not been very far from the park.


Some wall art - at least we didn't have to worry about crocidiles when we flooded in 2011.


Ment to post this earlier - my best photo yet of a road train. 



Have a close look at this photo - there is a big  branch just hanging in there, we are not sure what is holding it.  


Jim  on his way in to have a swim in the Katherine River - no croc signs so we figured it would be ok.  




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Isn't life great when you don't have a timetable!